Monday, April 24, 2006

Not a lot of knitting content

I HAVE been knitting all week, but there's nothing terribly exciting to show you. The second Ripples cardigan should be finished (and almost is), but isn't yet. The weather has been so nice that I've been spending more time outdoors.

Yesterday was so nice (in the sunshine; in the shade it was still quite cool) that I went down to the dock with my camera in hand. The pictures I took were nothing special, but I did catch a fish...



...on film, that is.

I also went for a short walk. On Saturday, I had gone up into the bush behind our house because we needed some rocks for a planter. I knew where there was a boulder with a bunch of rocks strewn around it. While there, I noticed a little flash of red.



That is one single tulip. All by itself. It seems that someone disposed of some yard waste there and in the waste was a single tulip bulb. That single red tulip? Now, that says spring!

Now, Peg on Vancouver Island (definitely another beautiful place to live or visit... my baby brother lives on the Island) asks how I knit, English or Continental. English. And apparently, I use a lot of wasted motion, according to a couple of my friends who knit Continental. It works for me and I don't really think I'll change now.

I learned to knit when I was about seven years old. Somewhere I even have a picture of me knitting back then; if I ever find it, I'll post it for you. I learned how to crochet at about the same time and do both equally well. My mother also taught me how to embroider at about that time. Over the years, I've done a lot of different handicrafts and also did none for many years.

When my children were very small, I started with cross-stitch and did that voraciously. I couldn't get enough and there weren't enough hours in the day. When my youngest daughter was born, I took up knitting again and haven't stopped since. It's only recently, though, that I've gained enough confidence to stop using patterns exclusively. That's been very freeing and I'm loving my craft even more than I ever thought I would.

I have one last picture to share with you today. My daughter sent me this picture of Trinity last night. Yesterday was Little Miss Trinity's second birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment