Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Let's see what Blogger does today

Yesterday, I tried posting several times and nothing happened. So, I tried later. And nothing happened. So I turned the computer off and came back later in the day. My post had published five times!



On to knitting...

I finished the little cardigan for my neighbour's nephew yesterday afternoon. It's blocked and drying outside at the moment, but here's a picture of the finished sweater, buttons and all (Trinity's cardigan still doesn't have buttons).



And a close-up of the stitch, with the chosen buttons. I don't think I could have found more perfect buttons for this yarn.



So, why doesn't Trinity's cardigan have buttons yet and this one does? Well, someone in one of the Yahoo groups posted a link to a Knitty Gritty show featuring Lily Chin and her method of "sewing" on shank buttons while you're knitting the button bands. I didn't see that until after Trinity's cardi was all knitted.

How, you ask? Basically, you use a crochet hook (the largest one that will fit through the hole in the button), slide the button on to the hook, pick up the stitch where the button needs to be, pull it through the button using the crochet hook, place the stitch back on your needle and knit it in pattern. It works! Beautifully! And no hand sewing!

Now, I'm tempted to re-do the button bands on Trinity's cardigan. Looking at the bands somewhat critically, I think I could have added a few stitches anyway. I hate decisions of that kind. Do I want to redo the bands or should I just leave well enough alone and just sew the darned buttons on and get it over with?


2 comments:

  1. Love that little cardi! Can you send me the link to the Knitty Gritty on the "sewing' on of shank buttons in the actual knitting, Please? I am the gal on Vancouver Island where the tulips are jsut beautiful this sunny morning. Peg at johnpegc@telus.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Austria! This little cardi turned out so beautiful, the colors go along so well together and I'm sure that the little recipient is going to love it! Great work done!

    ReplyDelete