Saturday, December 29, 2012

Another Year Closes

I had thought about doing a bit of a retrospective on the year that was but, you know what? It WAS. It’s past, it’s been blogged about so why rehash the past? I’d rather be looking forward than backward.

The Christmas madness is behind us; it was fun but I’m happy to get back into a rhythm, a routine… normalcy. There’s just New Year’s Eve now. We’re not sure what we’ll be doing, probably making and sharing olie bollen (a Dutch tradition, translated literally as oil balls – fritters filled with raisins, currants, and diced apples, and dusted with icing sugar) with other residents of the house, possibly around a wood stove in the garage. We’ll see.

For the next couple of days, however, I’ll be relaxing and either knitting or reading. Yep, my knitting mojo is back and my wrist is cooperating. I have a few projects to finish but I couldn’t resist casting on for a project from the latest Knitty, Metalouse. It’s the perfect project for some of the gorgeous, long colour-change sock yarns that are out there right now and, I can tell you, it’s a flat out fun, easy knit! That is, it’s easy if you remember that the center increases are always done on the right side rows.

I could, possibly, have this finished before the new year arrives. Seriously, there are only another 40 or so rows to go. The pattern, by Stephen West, is well written and easy to follow; I can see this being a very popular project on Ravelry.

Last week, seeing as it was Christmas and all, I spoke with all three of my children and some of my grandchildren. One of them had, apparently, received a new jacket for Christmas and had a request for his grandma. New mittens! It isn’t often a 6 year old boy requests hand knit mittens but he did. When I asked him what colour he wanted, his answer surprised me. Red! He wants red mittens. So, what’s a grandmother to do with a request like that?

That’s right… buy more yarn! I’m thinking I’ll make the cuffs in a corrugated ribbing, alternating the black (actually, it’s more of a charcoal heather) with the red. The variegated pink will be turned into a pair of mittens for his sister. She, being a girly girl, naturally requested pink mittens. I’ll have to see if I can’t find a cute “girly” mitten pattern somewhere… or design a pair. Any suggestions?

I’ll have to get these done quickly, I think. I’m not sure what it’s like where the kids are but around here, right now it’s looks like this…

Wishing you all a very happy 2013!

May it be all you dream it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment