Sunday, January 02, 2011

First Post of 2011

With all the time I had off over the Christmas season, I’ve been getting a lot of knitting done. Not all of it has been the cardigan either, as I’m sure you realize (what? me knit on one project only???).

As of yesterday, the body of the Western Seas sweater is finished, except for the collar. Because it was already dark by the time I got to that point, I wasn’t going to even try to pick up stitches. It’s looking good, though.

WesternSeas2I have been working on the cardigan, but I’ve also been working on this double knit hat. I really can’t work on the mittens because of the fineness of the yarn and the small size of the needles, but I have found that I can work double knitting on dk weight yarn and 4.0 mm needles. This hat, the Rectangly Hat, designed by Catherine Hughes, of Spinstar Creations (available as a free Ravelry download), is well written, geared to double knitting novices. I’m about halfway at this point and it’s so cushy!

RectanglyHatDon’t ask me about the yarn; all I know is that it’s a superwash wool that has been in my stash for a long time. I’ve used this brand of yarn (Luxury Yarns, perhaps?) for numerous items in the past, predominantly while I was working at the yarn shop. It’s a nice soft, very cushy yarn that knits up beautifully. I may have to, at some point, invest in some more of this yarn.

There will be more knitting this weekend; I still have today and tomorrow off.

1 comment:

  1. I have never tried double knitting. Is the point of it that your knitted item is warmer? Or is there some other advantage I am not aware of?

    ReplyDelete