Sunday, May 02, 2010

Erp...Typos

There's a new post over at Headline Hunters. If you haven't checked out my other blog, please do. And if you find typos or glaring mistakes in your local paper, please feel free to pass them on to me.

For Gloria, who asked about the mustard powder I used... I picked it up at the bulk food store. It is ground seeds, but not as finely ground as Keen's mustard. I wouldn't use Keen's; it's just too expensive seeing as the recipe calls for a cup of mustard powder. You can grind your own if you want, or find the ground mustard seed. Apart from the wine, by the way, the ingredients for my batch of mustard cost me under $2.00.

On the knitting/packing front, I've packed up almost all of my works in progress and now have (had) just the Shetland Christening dress handy for working on. The problem with that is that I don't want to work on true lace all the time, nor do I want endless garter stitch all the time.

And because I don't have enough projects on the go, I started the Moving Scarf/Shawl. It's just enough of a challenge that I need to keep the pattern handy, but it's simple enough that I can work on it while watching/listening to the TV. Every wrong side row is purled, so there's a reprieve from patterning and paying close attention.

The pattern is the Lilac Shawl from "Knitted Lace of Estonia" by Nancy Bush. I started it last night, while watching the Canucks/Chicago hockey game. I'm using the laceweight alpaca I bought at the Oyama Lake Alpaca Farm last year, and knitting it on 3.5 mm needles.


The scarf is started at one end and worked through to the opposite end, without the edging. The second edging is worked separately and then grafted to the rest of the scarf. Above is my progress to date. As you can see, there are also nupps in this scarf. I'm not sure how clearly you can see it, but if you look closely, you can see a pink stitch marker in the far left diamond of nupps. I didn't notice until I was well past it that I had missed one of the loops; after the body of the scarf is finished, I'll go back and suture that loop in place.

Until now, I hadn't been able to make up my mind as to what to do with this yarn. I'm really liking how this pattern is knitting up with this yarn; I think I made the right decision. Incidentally, I keep referring to it as a scarf but I think, once blocked, this will be more of a shawl or a wide scarf. For the picture, I didn't pin it out as much as I would if I were blocking it; the needle would have been to short for that anyway. I've only pinned it out enough to show the pattern.

I know, the last thing I need is another project, but this one just feels good. And that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment