Saturday, February 06, 2010

No Knitting Content???


What do pink peppercorns, star anise and cloves have in common? Well, all three of these spices combine with thyme to make a really nice beverage!

I wrote earlier this week that John and I had been to the library. While there, I leafed through the latest issue of Bon Appetit and decided it was one that I really wanted to have on hand. One of the reasons was this bevvie recipe. It's Pink Peppercorn Thyme Soda. Obviously, I can't give you the recipe, but I can tell you that it's a syrup base that's made with star anise, pink peppercorns, cloves and fresh thyme, mixed with soda water and it's very refreshing.

I'm not usually one for sweet drinks like Coke; I'd much rather have tonic, but it's not something I want all the time. Recently, I've started drinking soda with black currant syrup and I like it, but again, it isn't something I want all the time. This drink has a lovely, light star anise flavour and you can make it as strong or as subtle as you wish and it isn't overly sweet.

So, if you're looking for an alternate to regular pop, I can recommend this recipe! If you're looking for something to serve a designated driver, I can recommend this as a very nice alternative to all the sweet stuff out there (and it looks like it might be a whisky drink, yanno?) What about you? What's your drink of choice? Any recommendations for me to try?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to be much help here because what I mostly drink (and like) is water. But once in a while I have a Sprite or a 7-up. Very rarely though :)

    ReplyDelete