Sunday, March 02, 2008

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

I spent a bit of time (not THAT much!) on Ravelry this morning. In one of the groups I'm in, a poster referred readers to Fleegle's blog and something called "normality". Fleegle's post can be found here. Go ahead, read it, I'll wait.

Fascinating, yes? And so, after reading Fleegle's post, I sat down in my living room, picked up some needles and some yarn that just happened to be on the coffee table (I'm frogging an old crochet project that I know I'll never finish) and cast on 30 stitches using the Turkish cast on, as suggested. Here's what I came up with...

Photobucket

Keep in mind that this is recycled yarn that hasn't been reclaimed. Also keep in mind that this is the first time I've used the Turkish cast on. As well, keep in mind that I wasn't following a pattern, so the faggotting around the point is imperfect. My first impressions?

1. I'm not thrilled with the Turkish cast on. Perhaps I just need practice, but I have a row of twists down the center of this mini shawl. I think I'd prefer a different provisional cast on.

2. I like the shape. Stocking stitch is not even top to bottom and side to side, as garter stitch is, so this shape isn't an equilateral triangle; it's wider than it is long. That isn't a bad thing. In a full sized shawl, that would give you longer tails at the front, right? I suppose if you want a true, equilateral triangle, you could decrease on every row rather than every other row, as I did.

3. I can see the possibilities for a variety of shawl and stole shapes. By changing the positions and number of increases and decreases, you could come up with a myriad of interesting shapes.

As Fleegle writes in her post, this construction lends itself beautifully to a lot of design options. Your borders can be knit on at the same time because, knit this way, the borders are at the side edges, and don't need to be picked up and worked afterwards. Gotta love that!

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what Fleegle comes up with, and I have every intention of playing around with her concept.

Hmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment