Monday, March 12, 2007

We Have a Winner (and other bits and pieces)

Without further ado, the draw winner is Heike, from Germany! Congratulations, Heike! Send me an email and we'll determine your prize. The email address... stringsnthings at shaw dot com. You know that works, right?

It was fascinating to read about how you all started out knitting. My story is very similar. My mother taught me the basics when I was about seven years old. I learned the knit stitch and did it poorly, although I did make a Barbie "vest" (a somewhat rectangular piece of knitting that just happened to have two holes in about the right place to be considered armholes) and sold it for the grand sum of ten cents. I didn't pick it up again until seventh grade, when we had to knit a pair of baby booties in school. After that, it wasn't until my third child was born (I was about 30 at that time) that I picked it up again and stuck with it. I've been knitting since.

Here's what I've been working on off and on for the last couple of days...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The pattern for these is from the 2007 Knitting Pattern a Day calendar. They knit up very quickly, with 2 strands of Paton's Decor held together on 4.5 mm (US 7). This pair is intended for me, but they might fit John's Dad, and he will put them to good use, I'm sure. I have another pair, somewhat larger, half done (that is, one slipper's finished, the second is on the needles) for John, or whomever needs them.

John's felted clogs are almost done, too. I did decide to make the second sole in a different colour. One sole is ready to be knitted to the first slipper. I'll show you those when I have them completely done. And that likely will not be today. I wanted to get a lot of knitting done yesterday, but it just wasn't that kind of day, for some reason.

The guys are home, finally! It was a trip from hell for them, but they're here. The car is about 10 blocks from here, but John and his dad are here. Yes, the car broke down. They made it all the way from Vancouver to here, with a few glitches, in a record-breaking rainfall, but the car refused to make it all the way home. John's just on his way now to borrow the pickup truck from his work, unload the car and bring everything here. Then we'll call BCAA and have the car towed to a repair shop. I think it's time to start thinking about a replacement vehicle. *sigh*

And life goes on...

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's better to call BCAA than emergency services or the car rental place because they're still hundreds of miles from home. We must make lemonade, Ev, we must make lemonade :)...

    At any rate, I think it's grand that you and John are willing to take his dad in until a suitable place can be found. Lots of children in your situation would just hope for the best and a daily pop-in from some social service agency. You're doing the right thing, imho, and I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete