That's where the Icarus shawl went. I was at the point of moving to Chart #2. I did a stitch count. Just to be sure. I counted again. Yup. 12 stitches short. I looked at my work. I looked at Chart #1. I know what I did wrong. I started each of my pattern repeats one pattern row too soon. That's four stitches increased for the last three repeats. I'd have to frog back three full pattern repeats. If I was going to do that, I might as well frog back to where I'd made a mistake in the first repeat of the pattern, right? Then I decided that if I was going to frog it that far, I might as well just frog the whole thing and start fresh.
With a different yarn.
I'll put the Skacel Merino Lace back into the stash for now. I'm sure another shawl pattern will come along for the Merino Lace. This time, I'm doing Icarus in a copper coloured Jaggerspun Zephyr. It's 50% merino wool and 50% silk. It's a touch heavier than the ML, so I've changed the needle size from the called for 3.25 mm to 4.0 mm. That will make the shawl a little bigger, but that's alright. I'll knit it as written. I had planned, originally, to work one more pattern repeat to make the shawl a little bigger than it was in the pattern anyway.
Right now, I've completed one pattern repeat and am almost done the second repeat. This time, I'm not making stupid mistakes. I'm paying attention, and not assuming I know the pattern.
I've also completed a sweater design... well, the design concept part, anyway. I've drawn out the design and have a pretty good idea of the yarn it will require and the stitches I'll be using. All I'll say right now is that part of the sweater will incorporate a diagonal rib and cables. I'll be keeping my eyes open for just the right kind of yarn.