Saturday, July 26, 2008

It Has Begun


Edging July26_08
Originally uploaded by Strings 'n Things
The Brittany Birch needles have been sharpened, the swatches have been knit, the pattern has been charted and tested. All is in order now.

This morning I cast on for the Butterfly Dress and have completed two repeats of the edging pattern. It's very pretty. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the "medallion" in the center looks like a flower cupped by two leaves. At least, that's what it reminds me of. Incidentally, this edging is true lace, having patterning on every row. The body of the dress is knitted lace, meaning one pattern row, then a purl row.

I have a feeling that, in a relatively short time, I'll be able to knit the edging in my sleep; I'll certainly be knitting a lot of it. This edging is the bottom edge (hem) of the dress and is two layers, which means I'll be knitting the entire edging twice! Then, stitches are picked up from both layers simultaneously and the dress knit up from there.

The yarn, Rowan Kidsilk Haze, is lovely to work with, so soft and silky and yet feels as if it has strength and body. I love working with this yarn, even though it's a bear to wrestle with if you have to frog it. I don't intend to have to frog it. How's that for confidence?

1 comment:

  1. Your confidence is something I have tremendous admiration for! And I have no doubt what-so-ever about the outcome of this project. It will be a most splendid, one of a kind garment.

    I haven't used Kidsilk Haze but I have used Madil Seta which is very nearly the same thing. Amazing stuff - light as thistle down and soft as the murmur of spring. Gorgeous, amazing stuff :)

    Please keep us posted - it will be a real education to be able to observe your progress :)

    ReplyDelete