Saturday, December 17, 2011

Silence is Golden

I’ve been rather silent over the last couple of weeks, haven’t I? Well, I haven’t disappeared; I’ve just taken a short break. I’ve been occupied with other things and things have been getting done.

After having some fun with the Self-Intersecting Basketweave coaster, I’ve been working on a pair of socks for John. They are now done and on his feet. I think he’s worn them every day since Wednesday, when I finished them. I would take a picture but I can’t get him to stand still long enough.

I did discover, in making them, that 100 grams of Trekking XXL, which I love, isn’t quite enough to make the socks I usually make for John. For the second sock, I ended up alternating the Trekking with another yarn in a similar colour. I managed to get about halfway down the foot when I realized there was no way I’d have enough yarn. After scouring both local yarn shops, I had to go the alternating yarn route. I doubt anyone will notice; even John could hardly tell. I’ll try to get a picture at some point… if I can get that man to slow down!

Last week, one of our friends dropped by to invite us to a Christmas party (later this afternoon). I was in my recliner, working on John’s socks, when Mike said he wanted to commission me to knit him a toque… a watch cap. I asked him what colour he wanted it, knowing the answer before it was even out of his mouth. Black. I showed him John’s cap and Mike deemed it exactly what he was looking for. He tried it on, asking what was front or back. I explained that, because it was knitted in the round, in one piece, there were no seams and, therefore, no front or back, right way or wrong way. He was impressed.

Well, Mike was here yesterday, dropping John off (they’d been stacking wood and getting the “man cave” ready for today’s party). His cap was ready and waiting for him and he was wearing it when he left, one happy man.

The pattern is one I wrote back in 2006; it’s hard to believe it’s been THAT long!


Now, we need to eat. As I said, we have a party to go to this afternoon. I’m sure there will be alcohol involved so I intend to go with a full tummy. I’m also bringing a batch of hummus and freshly baked pita breads. And… no drinking and driving!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a great watchcap pattern is always good to have in the wings.

    Have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, there you are. And isn't your blog looking pretty. I don't always click through to people's blogs because I can read individual posts on Google Reader, but I miss seeing everyone's blog style.
    Looking for circular needle recommendations, Ev. I've been drooling over the Dyakcraft ones, the handmade coloured wood, absolutely beautiful but for an interchangeable set it's US$140. You just know that'll turn out to be more like Cdn$175 by the time I have it shipped here and add customs and tax.
    I'd really like to buy locally, whether it's fixed circs or interchangeables. What do you think?
    Nicola (email me at nicolaknitsATgmailDOTcom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is lucky to have someone willing to knit him a hat right before Christmas! And black is a pretty easy guess for a guy's hat request. :-) Have a great Christmas season, and I look forward to reading your blog in 2012.

    ReplyDelete